• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(131736)

Recruit
26 Badges
Jan 11, 2009
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • War of the Vikings
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Lead and Gold
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
So, first post. Please be gentle! I've been lurking forever, but I play quite a few Paradox games, and I read AARs like crazy! I've been playing as Sokoto for a while now, and I want to give an AAR a go. A few details:

- All posts will be written in character first, then out-of-character second. The out-of-character posts will contain most of the strategy/reasoning, while the in-character posts will be primarily historical fiction.

- As stated, the goal is the unification of Africa under the Sokoto Caliphate. This includes minor and major islands, such as Zanzibar and Madagascar. Sub-goals include making all of Africa states, rather than colonies (no easy feat!) and becoming the #1 great power.

- I will be running the latest version of the POP Demand mod, as it smooths out the rough spots in the game for Uncivs as well as making the economy a far more involved affair (which is my favorite part of the game.) For whatever reason, the mod displays some decisions and goods incorrectly, though. Unsure if it's my end or something left undescribed in the mod.

Any suggestions on difficulty, strategies, or whatnot are welcome!

Next post will be the first year or so!

I'm a sucker for uncivilised nations so I'll probably be keeping an eye on this. Be interesting to see how you go about it compared to my Sokoto game is going.

Sokoto?! The horror... the horror... :p That's quite an ambitious set of goals you have there! Still, excellent choice. Unciv AARs, when properly done, tend to be very entertaining indeed (one guy pulled off a world conquest in EU3 with the Iroquois). Good luck with your AAR, and kudos on delurking yourself. I'll try and follow this one, if time allows.

Oh man, that sounds like a MIGHTY huge mountain to climb. Every time I play the game, I see Sokoto and wonder what it would be like to play. My guess is that it'll be very difficult, so I'll be watching to see how you do.

This sounds like fun, good luck!

I'm a sucker for uncivilised nations so I'll probably be keeping an eye on this. Be interesting to see how you go about it compared to my Sokoto game is going.

I've actually played a few (read: 3) Sokoto games to prepare for this AAR, and each one I've done better. I bought Victoria 2 not too long ago, so I'm still not entirely sure on what connects with what in the mathematics. This will be as much of a learning experience for me as everyone else!

I'm really interested in seeing how your Sokoto game goes as well!

Sokoto?! The horror... the horror... :p That's quite an ambitious set of goals you have there! Still, excellent choice. Unciv AARs, when properly done, tend to be very entertaining indeed (one guy pulled off a world conquest in EU3 with the Iroquois). Good luck with your AAR, and kudos on delurking yourself. I'll try and follow this one, if time allows.

That was actually the thread that got me interested in AARs! Audacity of Hope is quite possibly my favorite playthrough of all time, and certainly my favorite AAR. It's awesome!

I actually prefer uncivs because they give me more latitude to build up. Starting out as a great power is fun and all, but I like the feeling of toiling with your country until you can beat everyone else. Making a mountain out of a mole hill, as it were.

Oh man, that sounds like a MIGHTY huge mountain to climb. Every time I play the game, I see Sokoto and wonder what it would be like to play. My guess is that it'll be very difficult, so I'll be watching to see how you do.

It's fairly difficult for Vanilla 1.2. I judge my record based on how long it takes to westernize, since you can't get an industrial score or colonize before westernization, and my best time with Sokoto is 1871. Not bad, but it's still a good third of the game lost to teching and border skirmishes.

To everyone else: thanks! I'll try and make my next post be the actual AAR, instead of just responses :p

Quite an interesting idea, and playing as Sokoto. Have you thought about joiningWriting with the StAARs competition? Your AAR fits all the criteria.

It'll take ages to industralize but I remember having a thought about becoming the greatest unciv ever as Sokoto. I've never actually played as them, though.

Formed in the aftermath of the Fulani Jihad, the Sokoto Caliphate was one of the major countries in Africa during the Victorian era. It was known particularly well for being proficient in both military and scholarly pursuits, and the ruling family - the dan Fodios - were just as good at writing poetry as they were lopping the heads off of their enemies. In 1836, the Sokoto Caliphate is a mostly isolated empire, with the Hausa culture dominating the landscape after the death of dan Fodio's son Bello. News trickles in of whites colonizing nearby lands, but so far only a few have made it far enough inland to encounter the Sokoto Caliphate. Those that do either assimilate or are killed.

---

Diary of Nicholas Cooke

January 8th, 1836

I was dragged this morning before what a ruler passes for in these parts of the savage African wilderness. They speak in a strange tongue, but a few have encountered other traders and officials from Cape Coast and translate for me in a stilted form of English. The gist of the ruler's tirade seemed to be that I could either translate historical documents for him into English or be forced to work with the slaves on farms.

I figured, despite not knowing the language, I could always rely on translators to give me the gist of whatever document they wanted me to translate. Then I'd fill in the gaps. Despite reviling my captors and situation, these savages are far more civilized than I thought. The documents ended up being the record of some kind of war between teacher and pupil. I haven't got very far in the document, due mostly to my tenuous grasp of their language, but I have been told enough to understand the result: the creation of this empire. This "Sokoto Caliphate". I pray my comrades find me soon.

Diary of Nicholas Cooke

February 21st, 1836

I have finished the basic translation of the document, which I have labeled "Annals of the Fulani Jihad." I was rather incorrect in assuming it was as simple as a fight between student and master. It is actually the conquest of the native peoples, the "Hausa," by what amounts to a reformer from the wilderness.

The Hausa had apparently been taxing and oppressing the "Fulani," another native group, and despite major setbacks, the Fulani ended up conquering the Hausa. They established their leader, Usman dan Fodio, as the new ruler of the country, and when he died, his son took over and refounded it as the Sokoto Caliphate.

Despite my misgivings, I found myself becoming engrossed in the document. dan Fodio was a cultural and political reformer, and his rule brought relative prosperity to the region. Nothing quite as impressive as our own Empire, of course, but certainly no small feat for this corner of the world.

I still miss Britain, however. I miss the amenities of the Empire. While I'm certainly beginning to be more comfortable here, I find myself longing to sail on one of Her Majesty's ships again.

---

sokoto-aar-1.png

The Sokoto Caliphate starts out in, quite honestly, one of the worst positions in Victoria 2. It is landlocked and has empty provinces on every side, rendering excursions to take territory or engage in border skirmishes to raise prestige essentially useless.

Production is almost entirely non-technological goods, like fabric, cattle, and wheat. This is great for making sure my population gets the food and necessities they need, but essentially kills any attempts to produce soldiers internally. If I want to get more troops, I'm going to need money to buy all of the goods necessary. Thankfully, Sokoto starts out with an incredibly strong economy that, even after the early-game bubble bursts, provides plenty of cash flow.

Other things to note at the start are the strong military (Sokoto starts with a military score of 11 and the ability to recruit quite a few brigades, which is essential to westernization), the low literacy rate (1.4% at start, although it quickly begins to rise), and the lack of any unrest. Sokoto is, essentially, a blank slate.

sokoto-aar-11.png

As far as my position in the world goes, I've only got one major threat: Egypt. Tripoli is absorbed by the Ottoman Empire fairly quickly, and the European colonies nearby are too weak to support large armies from the mainland. If anybody attempts to take Sokoto, they will be fighting a war of attrition against the terrain, not me. This gives me the perfect chance to bolster myself before striking out into the world.

Morocco normally proposes an alliance a few days into the game, but didn't this time.

sokoto-aar-2.png

Unfortunately for me, out of my 5 provinces, three (denoted by the red arrows) do not start as full provinces. This includes the region my capital is located in. If I hit secondary power status and finish colonizing those provinces, I will have to reform them to statehood. It's a painful slowdown, but a necessary one if I intend to perform an African unification.

sokoto-aar-4.png

sokoto-aar-9.png

Technology-wise, I start with essentially nothing. The few things I do have, like Flintlock Rifles, don't do much for me. I don't own a single tech required for Westernization, which means that this is going to be a long struggle uphill for the necessary techs.

I immediately set out to research Romanticism. I realize this is a non-standard move, but given Sokoto's position, it's practically the only acceptable one. Researching Romanticism as early as possible gives you access to Romanticist Art/Lit/Music, which all give you a significant amount of prestige. As I can't make border wars (attrition en route will be too high) to drive my prestige up, I have to get it through tech.

It's worth noting that, in POP Demand, westernization requires 100 prestige rather than 40. In Vanilla, you can get the required prestige for Westernization entirely from researching Romanticism as your first tech.

sokoto-aar-10.png

I spend my only national focus point to encourage Clergy in my most populous (and most valuable) province, Zaria. This, naturally, has the dual effect of increasing literacy gain and my research points, both of which are essential on the road to westernization.

sokoto-aar-5.png

sokoto-aar-6.png

sokoto-aar-7.png

sokoto-aar-8.png

sokoto-aar-15.png

Just a glimpse at my starting statistics. Here's the important bits:

- I can't build factories because I'm not westernized, which means that for around ~30 years my industry score will stay at a resounding 0.

- I'm not gonna be pushing through reforms for a while. The only reform I really need is slavery outlawed, but it's going to be a long time with an Upper House primarily composed of Conservatives and Reactionaries.

- Sokoto is one of the most populous minor uncivs, with a default population of 1.35M. It also starts with no influence, no allies, no diplomatic ties, and no diplomatic points. Once again, blank slate. This is also important as starting as Sokoto means that the AI will never add me to their sphere of influence. I'm just not valuable enough to bother with. By the time I reach Westernization, and subsequently a valuable target, I'll be out of reach.

- Most of my populace are farmers and slaves. I have no intention of changing this, as almost all of my RGOs depend on those two.

- I start with a strong budget, but a starving middle class. This will quickly correct itself.

sokoto-aar-12.png

sokoto-aar-13.png

These are the only relatively close holdings I can reach without accruing massive losses. All of these holdings are held by major powers. If I really want to get a port province, I can probably take the Portuguese one, but the lack of a port makes me both less susceptible to attack and means the AI can't drive war score with blockades. I'll be leaving them alone.

sokoto-aar-17.png

Just a little bit of context for world events. Britain has begun to annex Indian holdings, and are unopposed by any of the major powers.

Last edited:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but with an RP of 2 it'll take 10 years to research Romanticism, with just 1.25 it'll take 17-18 years. Nations with larger RPs will have got it a long time before that, you might want a rethink.

I actually already know this. However, there's a few things: my RP will continually be going up, ideally to around 4-5; the AI either ignores Romanticism or has other factors involved in it not getting the inventions; I have no other choice.

It seems like a counter-intuitive move, but there's a good logical process behind it.

If I spend my RP right now researching the standard Westernization techs, it means that Romanticism will take longer. By putting my RP into it now, it drastically increases the amount of prestige I will gain from the inventions. If I do it now or later makes no difference, as it will take roughly the same amount of time, so doing it now is a much stronger move than doing it later. The standard Westernization techs don't have any critical inventions like Romanticism, so I need to get it as quickly as possible.

The inability to colonize mixed with the attrition I suffer when moving over the nearby neutral landscape renders the standard warmonger prestige-gathering useless, as I'm more likely to lose prestige than gain it. Thus, I have only one real route, and that's Romanticism. I might be able to squeeze a little from Egypt if it's in a war with a Great Power, but otherwise I'm stuck.

Last edited:
Good start. I hope that Cooke will be able to "sail on one of Her Majesty's ships again" before he passes away.

Sokoto, eh?

I imagine it's entirely beyond the capabilities of the AI, but I'd like to see Liberia provide some strong opposition to you before going down! They would be my go-to nation for African unification.

My first move as Sokoto was to annex Ethiopia. In hind sight I probably should have westernised first, much like it looks you will be doing. Ethiopia did more damage to my RP production then it did me good in mil score from the soldiers there. 100 prestige is certainly significantly more challenging than vanilla. In the context of prestige been so vital I can understand the move for romanticism. Are all the other requirements for westernisation the same as vanilla? Looking forward to what comes next.

This looks daunting and interesting in equal measure. I find the romanticism choice logical, in an indirect way. Typically, it would have made sense to save up RP points for Idealism but, since it will take you so many years to research it, you wouldn't expect to get much prestige out of its inventions because AI nations always prioritize it, and with this mod it appears that prestige from technology will be vital.

Sokoto, eh?

I imagine it's entirely beyond the capabilities of the AI, but I'd like to see Liberia provide some strong opposition to you before going down! They would be my go-to nation for African unification.

I tried a Liberia game, and to do so you really have to tag switch at the beginning of the game and get someone to declare war on the US to end your satellite status, otherwise you just sit there the whole game. If you do this, you can generally take little pieces of land from all around Africa, such as Transvaal/Oranje, parts of Egypt/Ethiopia, or Oman's Somali territories and create this strange, disconnected African empire from which you start colonizing in towards the center from many directions. It's pretty fun, but it's also difficult, as I'd imagine Sokoto is (though Sokoto does start with a much bigger population). The nice thing about Liberia is African Minor is an accepted culture for you.

Good luck with Sokoto, Dragonmaw!

I actually already know this. However, there's a few things: my RP will continually be going up, ideally to around 4-5; the AI either ignores Romanticism or has other factors involved in it not getting the inventions; I have no other choice.

It seems like a counter-intuitive move, but there's a good logical process behind it.

If I spend my RP right now researching the standard Westernization techs, it means that Romanticism will take longer. By putting my RP into it now, it drastically increases the amount of prestige I will gain from the inventions. If I do it now or later makes no difference, as it will take roughly the same amount of time, so doing it now is a much stronger move than doing it later. The standard Westernization techs don't have any critical inventions like Romanticism, so I need to get it as quickly as possible.

The inability to colonize mixed with the attrition I suffer when moving over the nearby neutral landscape renders the standard warmonger prestige-gathering useless, as I'm more likely to lose prestige than gain it. Thus, I have only one real route, and that's Romanticism. I might be able to squeeze a little from Egypt if it's in a war with a Great Power, but otherwise I'm stuck.

Well... you might be better waiting til 1840 and then doing Idealism and giving you a 50% RP boost.